Bundestag election: Scheuer rejects speed limit

Transport Minister Andreas Scheuer has clearly rejected calls for a speed limit on motorways in the federal election campaign. "The argument for a general speed limit is a political instrument of combat, for some even a fetish," said the CSU politician of the German press agency. “When making a choice, citizens can decide whether they want freedom of mobility - or restrictions and bans. And there are the green right at the front. "

The minister emphasized that the system of recommended recommended speed of 130 kilometers per hour had proven its worth. About a third of the motorway network also already has a speed limit. “With alternative drives, automation and autonomous driving, the average speed will drop anyway.” It is currently 117 kilometers per hour. “The German autobahns are the safest roads in the world. We tend to have problems with road safety on country roads, that's what our focus must be on, ”said Scheuer.

Demand in their election manifestos SPD and Greens set a general limit of 130 kilometers per hour on motorways, the left wants a maximum speed of 120. Union, FDP and AfD expressly reject a general speed limit. Scheuer also opposed making Tempo 30 the rule in urban areas and the previously applicable Tempo 50 the exception. "A general, area-wide Tempo 30 in city centers is too general for me."

SPD calls Laschet statements "fog candle"

The SPD has statements from Union candidate for chancellor Armin Laschet referred to as a "smoke candle" to allow landlords to participate in additional CO₂ costs for heating. Sören Bartol, deputy chairman of the SPD parliamentary group in the Bundestag, said: “I don't trust Armin Laschet across the street. We could have divided up the additional costs fairly long ago. Until recently, the real estate lobbyists within the CDU parliamentary group fought a fair division. "

Laschet has made it clear that landlords must expect to be involved in the additional costs in the future. "The current solution that the landlord does practically nothing will not last," said Laschet on Sunday in the ARD "summer interview". In the short term, just no other solution was conceivable, he added.

The federal government announced a compromise in mid-May: in future, landlords should bear half the costs of the CO₂ price that has been in effect since January 1st. The project failed due to the veto of the Union faction in the Bundestag. Bartol said the Union ministers had also been in favor of a 50/50 split. “I wonder where Armin Laschet has been in the last few months. And where this change of heart suddenly comes from. For me this is nothing more than a smoke candle. The real politics of the Union shows: Armin Laschet has nothing left for tenants, they are alone on the costs. The responsibility for this is his CDU. "

The owners' association Haus & Grund criticized Laschet's statements: "It would be wrong to relax the polluter-pays principle for the CO₂ price in tenancy law," said Gerold Happ, member of the federal management board. "Landlords have no influence on the tenants' heating behavior and hot water consumption." Both are decisive for CO₂ emissions and the resulting costs. As a result, the CO₂ price must also reach the tenants in order to develop a steering function.

Laschet: Neither tax increases nor tax cuts make sense at the moment

Union Chancellor candidate Armin Laschet sees no scope for both tax increases and tax cuts in the current situation. First of all, it is important how to get better income for the state again after the pandemic, said the CDU boss on Sunday in the ARD “summer interview”. During the crisis, a lot of money was used to obtain liquidity in the companies so that they could invest again now if possible. “Raising taxes now would be exactly the wrong approach. We have to get back to economic growth. ”This and a return to full employment will earn more money. Tax increases would be poison at the moment. Laschet added that there was not a single tax relief in the Union's election manifesto. "The basic message is: tax breaks at the moment, we don't have the money."

The North Rhine-Westphalian Prime Minister confirmed that he would like to move to Berlin even in the event of a defeat in the federal election. "We're not talking about defeat now, but I'm coming to Berlin," he said. Laschet also assured a fair election campaign. There are big changes to be made. Germany is facing a change of epoch and should come back to factual debates. “As far as I am concerned, this campaign, like all my campaigns, will be fair. I don't think that you should attack your opponent personally, but rather argue hard on the matter. "

Schäuble accuses Maassen of "provocations"

The President of the Bundestag Wolfgang Schäuble has accused the CDU Bundestag candidate Hans-Georg Maaßen of deliberate provoking as a tactic. “Mr. Maaßen tries to attract attention with provocations. That is obviously his style, but we shouldn't even ignore it, ”said Schäuble, himself a CDU politician.

The former President of the Office for the Protection of the Constitution, Maaßen, had repeatedly triggered outrage in the past few days with the accusation of tendentious reporting by public media. When asked whether there aren't also limits here, Schäuble said: “I heard that Mr. Maaßen has corrected his statements. But I advise him: If he wants to be as smart as he thinks he is, he shouldn't make statements too often that he has to correct afterwards. "

Maaßen was elected by the South Thuringian CDU as its direct candidate in constituency 196 (Suhl, Schmalkalden-Meiningen, Hildburghausen, Sonneberg) for the federal election on September 26th. When asked whether he would like Maaßen to be elected, Schäuble said: “The Union claims to win all constituencies, including in southern Thuringia. And we also want to integrate him into the Union and not exclude him. "

Baerbock has his own scholarship examined

Green candidate for chancellor Annalena Baerbock has asked the party-affiliated Heinrich Böll Foundation, according to a spokeswoman, to "look again" at a "fact that was now almost ten years ago" in connection with a doctoral scholarship from the foundation at the time. According to the Greens spokeswoman, the occasion is media inquiries about the scholarship. The newspaper had also reported on the move.

The starting point was a report by. According to this, Baerbock was a PhD scholarship holder from the Böll Foundation from April 2009 to December 2012. A spokesman is quoted in the report as having received support of more than 40 euros. The Greens boss had not finished her doctoral thesis.

As reported, the foundation is subject to a funding guideline from the Ministry of Research. According to this, people should not receive a scholarship who "worked for more than one eighth of the regular weekly working hours" or "another activity that predominantly uses the manpower of the sponsored person".

The spokeswoman for the Greens points out in her statement that Baerbock did not receive a salary during his time as Brandenburg state chairman of the Greens, board member of the European Green Party and as spokeswoman for the Federal Working Group on Europe. It was not until 2011 that she received “in the sense of an expense allowance 226,76 euros per month” from the Brandenburg State Association and then in 2012 she received 400 euros per month. From 2013 onwards there was a regular salary, but Baerbock no longer received a doctoral scholarship.

"Ms. Baerbock's main focus during these years was on working on her doctoral project. The party-political, essentially voluntary commitment took place in the evenings and on weekends," the spokeswoman continued. She had fulfilled her duties as a scholarship holder - “also according to information from the Heinrich Böll Foundation” - during the funding period. "In addition, it should be noted that the Heinrich Böll Foundation's scholarship expressly expects intensive socio-political involvement in addition to the doctoral project; this is one of the central selection criteria."

Transport Minister Scheuer wants to stay in office

Federal Transport Minister Andreas Scheuer would like to continue his office in a new government despite widespread criticism because of the failed car toll. The CSU politician told the German Press Agency: “I really enjoy it. I will fight hard, in my constituency and then in the coalition negotiations, that this Ministry of Investment and Innovation can look to the future well. I still have a lot to do. "

Scheuer has been head of department since March 2018. The failure of the car toll fell during his term of office. "It's 88 to 1," he said, looking at it. “As the Ministry of Transport, we passed 88 ordinances and laws in this legislative period through the Bundestag and Bundesrat. We over-fulfilled the coalition agreement. The legislative period was already pretty tight, but also quite result-oriented. "So he emphasized with a view to the railways:" In this legislative period we have given more priority and put money into the rail system than ever before. "

The car toll - a CSU prestige project - was stopped as illegal by the European Court of Justice (ECJ) in June 2019. The planned operators are demanding 560 million euros in damages after the federal government terminated the contracts after the judgment. Arbitration proceedings are ongoing. The opposition accuses Scheuer of serious violations of budget and public procurement law. The aim is also for the federal government to conclude the operator contracts at the end of 2018, before there was final legal certainty at the ECJ. Scheuer has strictly rejected allegations and the operator's demands. There was also a parliamentary committee of inquiry into the car toll.